Monday 19 January 2009

U.C.engAged

I got fed up of writing about the academic side of university as the biggest part of my whole university experience was meeting my fiance. Yes thats right I said fiance :)
A lot of students come to UNI with their college sweetheart but I have seen it fail so many times it's enough to make you lose faith in love all together. There's this myth that when you come to UNI the idea is to get with as many people as possible which is why we have to suffer the shit ads about 'stds' and to some sad people that is what it's about (not the std's).
I was amazingly lucky meeting Mel. It wasn't the most romantic of beginnings (drunken kiss) but 2 years later and a proposal at Reading Festival '07' and I've never been happier :)
I know lots of people who have met their current partners at UNI and by current partners I mean a partner that could be the one, not who the hell are you get out of my room current partner. 
Its the one thing no manual or student guide can help you with I'm afraid. You may be a skeptic and want to be out there and single before you "settle down" but to me this all depends on your idea of settling down. It's a stupid term because who wants to settle for anything? it implies there's something better. If your thinking kids, a house, a mortgage and a car all ready then please for the love of god! your with the wrong person, get away quick.
With the right person very little should change in regards with all the things you want to do in your life. The only difference is now you have someone to share it with, someone who can add more to the things you will do. They are much better than your best friends (you can't do certain things with your best friends... well not usually).
I've seen people not give anyone a chance in terms of giving it a go and their paying for it now.
I'm rambling on but I really do feel incredibly lucky. To find someone who your not thinking about "settling down with" rather carrying on the adventure with i'd imagine is bloody difficult. So heres to everyone at UNI who has 'a someone' not just with someone.

2 comments:

  1. Respect to you for being so honest with your thoughts my boy. Long may it continue for you and Mel. Also nice to see you cover a more personal topic, good stuff.

    Luke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't realise you had to go on tip toes to kiss the Mel!!! only joking mate, really like the shot.

    ReplyDelete