Monday 15 June 2009

The lesser of two evils

To all parents who want the best for their child. Bring them to this place on a monday morning and guaranteed they will never want to go back again.

What I mean by the lesser of two evils is that I have had to go on job seekers and housing benefit. 'SCUM' you shout well its better than sponging off of my hard working mother, I have done enough of that its time for me to take responsibility. Now with this placement and general want to be in advertising, its safe to say I could be unemployed for a while, I'm not gonna give up and work for some crap local marketing agency just yet!

What an experience, my skin was crawling, I felt completely out of place but I new I had rent to pay and I had closed my Bank of Mum account. The whole process was demoralizing, I have to admit I felt like a failure but I snapped myself out of it. I have no desire to go back to that place to sign on, I may have to once more time but after that, never again.

I'm just glad I don't have a real family to support, I have two baby rats they need there water dam it!

It really put everything into perspective as to just how much people will do just to get by, my reaction to going on job seekers was a typical reaction of that of someone who had no idea of what financial hardship was. I was humbled by the whole experience.

One things for sure I don't believe for a second that anyone would rather live off of jobseekers rather than having a job as I have been doing it for about a week and I am climbing the walls.

I will try not to look down my nose at anyone on benefits again as quite clearly I'm just not in the right frame of mind to accept that some peoples lives are actually harder than mine ;) for a guy my age thats close to enlightenment.

Don't consider government handouts as admitting defeat think of it as the dark before the dawn. To anyone that does live off benefits, I am sorry because I can't imagine anything worse.

1 comment:

  1. wow. some heavy thinking there. yeah i have been there, walked in....never quite got the wedge though. six geoffin weeks to come through and forms too long to fill out. i too felt the same. i did welfare law and welfare system there for a reason. utilise it. if people need it....

    ReplyDelete