Saturday 23 January 2010

The best creatives are grown not made.


I want a lot of things. I'm not ashamed of it, I live in a capitalist society ran by corporate giants and I make a living pedaling their wares to the good people of this planet and I love doing it. It's what makes me good at my job.

I am young and inexperienced but:

I want to be the best creative in my agency,
I want to marry Hayley Williams from Paramore,
I want to change my appearance to better suit my personality,
I want to win a D&AD black pencil,
I want to set up my own guitar store one day
I want to be a fantastic scamper
I want to be the funniest guy you have ever met
I want to have a blog every/anyone reads
I want to be really witty and clever all the time
I want to be invited to all the cool gallery/event openings
I want to be the go to guy for creative inspiration
I want to give the best presentations clients have ever seen
I want all the account women to fancy me
I want everything
and I want a dog!

Like I said I am young and inexperienced yet I was in a rush to have all these things.

A very clever man taught me that "without the journey all you will have is the end". I thought great! I'll be everything on my list. "No" he said "you will be dead".

I should treat my career like I would work on a great brief.

I should enjoy the beginning, the initial stages where it is all about just trying anything, just going for it and seeing what happens.

The refinement of the ideas will naturally develop over time, drawing on all the different influences that have affected it along the way.

The finished product never turns out how you would have expected at the beginning. It nearly always turns out better.

It's so easy to want to be like the heroes in your life and you forget they didn't just wake up being the way they are. They to were at the beginning wondering what the hell to do next.

There is a lot of pressure on aspiring young people to be the finished article and a lot of the creative industry are guilty of expecting it of us. (agencies who only employ award winning juniors for example)

The best creative people in this world were grown not made. Mac went through a lot before it became ready out of the box.

All we will end up with is an industry full of gifted amateurs who are fired after a few months because they didn't live up to the expectation and the truly gifted will still be working as waiters.

James Cameron had to wait 10 years to make Avatar and it was worth it.












No comments:

Post a Comment